Monday, November 26, 2012

Edible Gifts - Coconut Ice

I love personal gifts - not the gift packs that are piling up now in supermarkets, chemists and department stores. Most of the things, you wouldn't use and if so, it would only be one or two things from the pack. The baskets or pots might look nice but that's about it. I love it when my friends thought about me and what I would like - and maybe even make it. For example, my friend Sabrina bought tea towels last year and made a doll out of them. Eventually, I took it apart and used the towels but it looked amazing. My friend Derval knows how much I love dressing my table for dinner and goes to shops like Meadows & Byrne to get some nice items I can use.

But you don't need to be an artist to make your own gifts. Why not create a hamper with all the things your friends like to eat - I do it for years, and friends are even asking me for it (hopefully not just out of politeness). In this new series of blogposts, I am giving you recipes on edible gifts - these are tried recipes that I have tested on my long suffering friends.

Coconut Ice was a favourite of my mum who loved coconut. I have no idea why it is called coconut ice as it isn't frozen but it looks stunning and is dead easy to make. For a package, I would suggest a clear cellophane bag with matching ribbon (the coconut ice is traditionally white & pink).

Coconut Ice
  • 1 can condensed milk (397g)
  • 350g icing sugar, sifted
  • 260g Coconut
  • Pink food colouring

Mix the milk with the sifted icing sugar in a bowl, stir in the coconut and keep stirring until the mixture is well combined. The mixture will be very stiff. If it is too sticky/wet, add more coconut. Divide the mixture into 2 and colour one half light pink. This is the traditional colour for the coconut ice but you can, of course, use any colour that you like.

Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and arrange the white mix over the bottom, making sure it is evenly spread (keep in mind not to spread it too thin). Follow with the pink mix on top and spread to cover the white part. Leave to set in the fridge for about 3 hours. Take out from the form and trim the edges so that you have straight ends. Cut into squares and divide them into clear plastic gift bags and tie a ribbon (looks nice if you match the colours of the ice). This will keep in an airtight container for about 2 weeks. Keep cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment