Friday, September 28, 2012

Comfort Food - Beef Stew

Mr T deserved a treat the other day and since he doesn't like 'fancy' food, I thought I cook him a nice hearty stew. I thought I had lots of vegetables at home, so didn't bother with shopping other than the beef. My surprise was quite big when I saw that Mr T ate most of it. I had no mushrooms, carrots or celery left. I didn't have much hope left for the stew but went on anyway. The result was a deep rich and comforting stew and Mr T was a very happy man that evening (so much that he ate the entire pot which was meant to last him for 2 days)

Here is what I came up with (measurements are kinda guess work as I used anything I found in the fridge and cupboard)

  • 400g stewing beef (cut into chunky cubes)
  • 2 tbsp flour (seasoned with salt & pepper)
  • olive oil
  • butter
  • 1 large onion (sliced)
  • Comfort Food at its best
  • 2 cloves garlic (crushed or sliced)
  • 1 large red pepper (cut into stripes)
  • 100 ml Chicken or Beef stock
  • 100ml Red wine
  • Dried mushrooms (soaked - use the water as well)
  • 3 -4 medium potatoes
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 4 medium tomatoes
  • smoked paprika
  • Thyme
  • Seasoning

Dust the beef pieces with the seasoned flour. In an ovenproof pan, heat the olive oil and butter and add the meat. Brown all over and remove. Add the sliced onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until the rawness has gone.

Preheat the oven to 160C.

Peel and cube the potatoes and add to the onion mix. Stir around for a few minutes and add the peppers, tomatoes, soaked mushrooms with the soaking water, all tomatoes, beef, stock & wine and combine well. 

Add herbs, spices and seasoning, cover with lid and place in oven for about 1.5 hours. It doesn't matter if dinner is delayed - just turn down the heat and it will sit happily in the oven for up to 2.5 hours. Just stir it now and then to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment