Wednesday, July 11, 2012

La Scala Mallow

Bruschetta
I don't get that often to Mallow but I always wanted to go to La Scala as I have heard many good things about this restaurant. So when Wendy and myself got totally soaked at the Mallow Garden Festival we decided that we deserved a treat and decided to pay the restaurant a visit.

First of all, it is much bigger than it looks from the outside. You come in from the side entrance and you have the feel you are set back into an American movie from the 60s about an Italian love story. Checkered tablecloths, wicker chairs and candles in bottles. The walls are covered with black and white photographs from movie scenes like La Dolce Vita and The Godfather. Mirrors have written little quotes like "In Italy we have a word for Sushi - BAIT". I loved the whole ambiance as it was warm and welcoming - much needed after the rain outside.
Seafood Pasta

It becomes very clear that the restaurant is family friendly as although it was late afternoon, a large family was having a relaxed dinner and the kids were happy playing with dried pasta that was displayed in nice glass bowls.

The menu wasn't too confusing and not too long either although vegetarians were not that well catered for (wonder if they have a saying for that as well). We both opted for Bruschetta La Nostra. A generous slice of country loaf (thank you for not using baguette) topped with garlic, tomatoes and basil and drizzled with olive oil - a delight. We forgot already the rain outside.

Pasta with spicy tomato sauce
 For mains I chose the "Pasta of the Day' dish which was penne with a spicy tomato sauce. A simple dish - executed just as I like my pasta and the sauce had a lovely kick to it. the chef was not afraid of using chilli where needed. Wendy was a bit more adventurous than me and opted for the seafood pasta - she went silent for the duration of the meal - a sign that she is happy. We both had a glass of white housewine (sorry I forgot to ask what wine it was) and it was nicely chilled without being 'iced' and went nicely with out dishes.

We skipped dessert as we were strapped for time as Mr T was waiting for me.



Will I be back???? Yes, Mallow is worth a visit just for La Scala

No comments:

Post a Comment