Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Humble Lunch Box

It has been ages since I took lunch to work - having free yoghurt, fruit, nuts and lots of cookies for free kinda makes you lazy. But since I don't like fruit very much (I know, silly of me) my intake on lovely cookies has been taken to the limit now. For the first time in my life I feel really sluggish - so that is the end of the free cookies and hello again to the humble lunch box.

The secret to a good lunch box is the food - bet you didn't know that. When I see most lunch boxes, a sad looking sandwich is squashed into a bag and no one really wants to eat it (but if you do like sandwiches, make sure it is a great one, fresh salad leaves and a dollop of chutney dresses up any old sandwich). So what else can you put into a lunch box, you might ask - fear not, I am hear to show you some great ideas.

Tupperware Lunchbox
Another factor of course is the box itself. When you wrap something just with clingfilm and just stuff it into your handbag - chances are it looks a bit battered when it comes out. I am a big fan of Tupperware - and no, I am not getting paid by them (should ask them tho as I have more Tupperware than tea towels) - but trust me, they do exactly what it says on the tin. And yes, they are a bit more expensive than the 'normal' ones, but I can tell you that my grandmother had hers for over 30 years and apart from the colour fading, they were still working perfectly. Check out http://www.tupperwareireland.com/

My option for today's lunch box is Couscous Salad with feta. What gives it a lovely flavour are the slow cooked onions and garlic. Pinenuts are giving it a nice texture and it is easy to prepare and you can eat it warm or cold (if you have a microwave at work, use it).

You will need for one serving:
  • 30g  couscous
  • Hot water - to cover the couscous
  • Olive oil
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • handful of pinenuts
  • feta (how much depends on you)
  • Parsley
  • Couscous Salad with Feta
  • Salt & pepper
Pour the hot water over the couscous and leave to stand until all water has been absorbed by the couscous. Fluff it up with a fork.

Chop the onion finely, heat olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions slowly for a few minutes, add the crushed garlic and pinenuts and continue to fry until the onions start to brown and caramelize. Tip the onion mixture into the couscous, add the feta and chopped parsley and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt & pepper.

Leave to cool and store it in your lunch box until needed.

Happy Lunching



No comments:

Post a Comment