Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sunday Brunch - Baked Eggs with Creamed Leeks

Last Saturday I went to Liberty Grill for breakfast - next to Farmgate & Fenn's Quay my favourite place for breakfast. I normally get the scrambled eggs and rye bread but this time I thought I give the baked eggs a try. For some reason I thought that would be a great dish - I mean there are so many variations you can do but what I got was simply an egg in a dish and baked. A bit of pepper & chives sprinkled over it and served. I hate pepper and don't really understand the need to sprinkle every food with the flipping stuff and it didn't improve the egg anyway.

I ate it and forgot about it. So on Sunday morning when it was my turn to cook breakfast, I thought about what to do with baked eggs - looked out into the garden where my leeks were smiling at me and calling 'pick me, pick me'  and had an idea. Baked eggs on creamed leeks - yummy

Baked Eggs for Sunday Brunch
You will need for 2:
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 medium leeks
  • butter 
  • cream
  • Dijon mustard
  • Seasoning
  • Chives

Preheat oven to 180C.
Clean and cut the leeks into thin slices (use the green parts as well as the dish will look nice with a bit of colour). Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the leeks. Pan-fry on a medium heat until cooked but not browned. Add enough cream to bind the leeks and stir in the mustard (this is really up to taste but you don't want the mustard to overpower the leeks).

Butter 4 ramekin dishes and spoon in the leek mixture. Make a little well in the middle and crack one egg into each ramekin (the well will help the egg yolk to centre). Pour a little bit of cream on top and place the ramekin dishes in a baking tray and fill halfway with boiling water. Place in the oven and bake until the egg white has set but the yolk is still runny (or a bit longer if you like a hard yolk).

Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve with freshly baked bread

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment