Friday, February 1, 2013

Ballyhoura Mushrooms - A Ragout

Wonderful selection of oyster mushrooms
I first encountered Ballyhoura Mushrooms at the Kenmare Food Carnival last summer and was impressed with the quality of the mushrooms and the different products Lucy Deegan is offering. From mushroom ketchup to marinated mushrooms - and all homegrown in Ireland. So when I went to Mahon Point Farmer's Market the other day, I paid Lucy a visit and came across the most amazing oyster mushrooms - pink, brown and yellow - I called them rainbow mushrooms. The flavour of each was so different and I could see a mushroom ragout building up in my mind (I do have fantasies about food, I admit it). 


The deep flavour of the mushrooms was amazing in the ragout. I didn't use any salt as the reduced beef stock gave the dish the depth it needed and the mushrooms are standing up nicely to the beef stock. The mushrooms are quite meaty - so you won't be missing meat in this dish, but if you could for vegetarians, you will need to use vegetable stock which would change the flavour of the dish and you might need to add some seasoning.


Mushroom Ragout
Mushroom Ragout

  • 400g mixed mushrooms, cleaned & roughly chopped
  • Olive oil
  • Butter
  • 2 red onions, chopped
  • 150ml reduced beef stock
  • 100ml cream
  • Fresh parsley, chopped

Heat butter & olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions until translucent and only starting to colour.

Add the mushrooms and fry for about 15 mins, stirring now and then. Pour in the reduced stock and cook until reduced and almost all liquid is evaporated. Add the cream and parsley, heat through and season to taste (be aware that the reduced beef stock can be quite salty).

Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes or rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment