Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A bit seedy - Wholemeal Bread with Seeds & Nuts

Gourmet Sandwich at its best
Last Saturday, I paid Urru in Bandon a visit and since she had 20% off most of the items, I sneaked around a bit (who doesn't love a bargain) and came across this little lunchbox (my old one retired a few months back). It is a system that includes lunchboxes with different compartments and I really had to hold back not to buy the whole lot.....but I think my Tupperware would have been a bit too jealous. So I just got the lunchbox.

So, I decided to take my lunch to work again but I don't like the ready made sandwich loafs you get in supermarkets (normally they stick to your gum)... so I was going to make my own bread again. As a regular reader (and I know there are lots out there) - you will know that I love making bread. So much that I even give classes to 'spread the dough'....

This bread is made with strong wholemeal flour but I will mix in white bread flour the next time I am going to make it as the wholemeal flour makes the bread very dense and that might not be to everyone's taste. The flavour is amazing and the seeds and nuts give the bread a wonderful texture. It tasted yummylicious with fresh salad leaves, tangy cheddar and sweet tomato relish.....

Delicious Fresh Bread
  • 500g Strong Wholemeal Flour (or 50-50 with white strong flour)
  • 7g dried yeast (one sachet)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 350ml warm water
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 100g mixed seeds (I used pumpkin & sunflower seeds)
  • 50g nuts, chopped (I used walnuts)

Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water and set aside until the yeast starts to foam.

Combine the flour with the salt, seeds (leave some behind for the top of bread) & the nuts in a bowl. Pour over the sponged yeast water and start to knead until the dough is smooth. Place into a clean bowl and leave to rise until the dough doubled in size. 

Knock back and either shape it into a round or put into a lined loaf tin. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for a further 30 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to 200C and bake the bread for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180C and continue to bake approx. 30 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when you tap the bottom. Place on a wire rack to cool

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment