Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dinner Party - The Soup

For some reason, I always have 2 starters, with soup being the second starter. Soups can be warming, refreshing, comforting and energizing. Making soups is so easy, I really don't understand the need for tinned soup or even the powered stuff. Anyway, this time I chose to cook a leek soup (I know I know, I have cooked leek soup before) since I still have loads of leeks in the garden (wanted to show off a bit our great vegetables). The soup went down a treat and I didn't want to tell them how easy it was to make. The feta cheese is an extra - you can leave it out if you don't like it but it brings the soup to a different dimension. Just be careful with the salt if adding the feta as it is already very salty. I served the same wine as for the goats cheese which went also well with the soup.
Leek Soup with Feta

Leek Soup with feta cheese
  • 3 medium sized leeks
  • 1 white onion
  • Olive oil
  • pinch of sugar
  • 600ml water
  • 300ml milk
  • 150g feta cheese
  • chives
  • seasoning
Wash and finely slice the leeks, chop the onions and heat the olive oil in a pan over a low heat. Add the chopped leeks and onions and sautee until translucent (you don't want colour, just the rawness out of the vegetables). Pour over the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 mins. Leave to cool a bit and whizz in a food processor (how much you whizz it is up to you). Pour the soup back into the pan and add the milk. Simmer for 10 mins but don't let it boil up again. Check the flavour and if it needs any seasoning (keeping in mind that the feta is quite salty).

Ladle the soup into bowls and crumble the feta on top, sprinkle with chopped chives and serve with crusty bread.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment