Thursday, January 26, 2012

Eggs - more than just breakfast

When I grew up my mum used to make a dish she learned from her German mother. Eggs in mustard sauce. This was one of the few dishes I actually liked growing up ( my dad was a stew fanatic). Anyway, I cooked it the other night and Mr T was quite impressed how tasty eggs can be. It is a great alternative of protein if you don't fancy fish or meat.

Ingredients:

  • 2 boiled eggs per person (I like mine soft-boiled)
  • Knob of Butter
  • 3 Shallots (finely chopped)
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 0.5l vegetable stock (you might need more)
  • 2 tbsp mustard (I use Dijon Mustard)
  • salt to taste
  • sugar (to counter-act the mustard)
  • Cream
  • Parsley (finely chopped - optional)
  • Mash Potatoes to serve

Melt the butter in a pan and sautée the shallots until translucent but not browned. Add the flour and stir for a few minutes (be careful - it can stick to the pan). Pour in the warm stock and bring to a simmer - stirring until the flour has dissolved and the sauce becomes creamy - adding more stock if the sauce becomes to thick. Add the mustard (start slowly - you can always add if you don't think it is strong enough) and season with salt and sugar. Pour in cream (this is optional really but I like to add about 50 ml) and the parsley. Put the eggs into the sauce to warm them through.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment